News & Events Listings

Signed into law by Governor Rick Snyder on March 19, Michigan Public Act 81 of 2018 revises continuing education requirements for licensed CPAs.

Key provisions affecting regulation of the CPA profession in Michigan takes effect June 17, 2018, and include the following:

All licensed CPAs in the state are now required to complete one hour of Michigan-Specific Ethics by June 30, 2019 in order to renew their license.

Currently, Michigan CPAs are required to earn two hours of Ethics annually, with a total of four hours in every two year reporting period. Going forward, one of those four hours is now required to be Michigan-specific - covering the state's laws and rules that apply to public accountancy - and provided by a statewide professional association. The Department of Licensing & Regulatory Affairs selected the Michigan Association of Certified Public Accountants for this responsibility.

Included in PA 81, CPE carry-over is now in statute and protected going forward. Michigan is one of only a handful of states where carry-over is still allowed. CPAs who have earned more than 40 hours of continuing education in a year may carry over the excess hours to the next year, with the following limitations: carry-over cannot exceed 40 hours total; or exceed eight hours in auditing and accounting, two hours in professional ethics, or one hour in Michigan-specific ethics as described above.

PA81 considers a nonresident licensee who is applying for renewal of their license to have met the continuing education requirements for Michigan if he or she meets the continuing education requirements for renewal of an individual license in the state in which their principal place of business is located. 

If the state in which a nonresident licensee's principal place of business is located does not have continuing education requirements, the nonresident licensee must comply with all of Michigan's continuing education requirements for renewal of a Michigan license. Upon request, a nonresident licensee must provide proof acceptable to the department, from the state board or other licensing authority in which their principal place of business is located, that the nonresident licensee meets the continuing education requirements for license renewal in that licensing jurisdiction.